Highway 52 Coalition
What is the Highway 52 Coalition
What is the Highway 52 Coalition?
• The Highway 52 Coalition is a bi-partisan, multi-interest, economic and community minded effort focused on educating local, state and federal lawmakers and officials around funding needed to improve Highway 52 and the surrounding corridors.
• The Coalition will focus on three goals for the San Diego region:
1) To make Highway 52 a mobility corridor that enhances the economic vitality of the region and supports connections between San Diego communities and surrounding regions, both rural and urban.
2) To promote multi-modal and shared transportation opportunities through improvements to Highway 52 with a focus on the safe and effective integration of emerging transportation technologies.
3) To unite the interests of the public and private sectors around opportunities to reduce congestion for both passenger and commercial vehicles with emphasis on enhancing transportation for freight access, as well as access to military bases, job centers, healthcare and academic institutions, while also reducing environmental impacts on natural habitats.
What is the Project Vision?
• The proposed vision for the Project includes three phases:
Construct a westbound travel lane from Mast Boulevard to I-15; relocate the bike lane from the north side to the south side of Highway 52; add an eastbound auxiliary lane from I-15 to Santo Road; and create an additional eastbound travel lane by re-striping to provide three travel lanes from Mast Boulevard to SR-125.
Install one travel lane in each direction between Mast Boulevard and SR-125 by widening the San Diego bridges.
Complete the ultimate improvements as reflected in SANDAG’s regional plan to include two reversible managed lanes from SR-125 to I-805 and two additional travel lanes (one in each direction) from Mast Boulevard to SR-125, plus auxiliary lanes and freeway connectors.
• Additional sub-phases may be needed depending on funding opportunities and changes in the regional plan over time.
• During each phase of review, opportunities for shared and alternative mobility options, including Bus Rapid Transit, will be carefully analyzed and integrated where possible and where corresponding ridership interest exists.
• Pilot projects associated with new emerging transportation technologies will also be explored to enhance mobility as the Project phases move forward.
Why Support the Highway 52 Coalition Effort?
• Highway 52 has grown to become a critical transportation corridor for the entire region. With growth comes the opportunity for the region to invest together in an improved and innovative transportation corridor that benefits many facets, including:
Growing economic opportunities
Facilitating innovation focused jobs
Providing access to educational institutions, healthcare and military facilities
Improving connectivity to local airports
Enhancing cross border transportation and trade routes
• The Highway 52 Coalition will focus on promoting the following priorities for the Project:
• Provide an important economic link in the San Diego region and beyond to benefit the jobs-housing balance in southern California
• Facilitate a transportation corridor for commuting employees in emerging and established businesses in innovative sectors, such as biomedical, telecommunications and defense industries
• Leverage the maximum amount possible from private sector, local, state and federal funding sources to support this unique and important infrastructure opportunity
• Expedite completion of the project by using opportunities to better coordinate necessary environmental reviews with the appropriate lead agency, and avoid redundancy while maximizing project dollars for construction
• Improve daily access for military personnel and support services, and more importantly, during times of high national alert
• Explore opportunities to incorporate new transportation innovations into the project, in addition to integrating infrastructure improvements for increased bike connectivity and mass transit for the region
• Reduce congestion for both passenger and commercial vehicles to benefit the economy and the local environment
How Can You Support the Highway 52 Coalition?
• This effort is going to take the energy, commitment and cooperation of many – from individuals, to elected officials, to the business community and key local stakeholders
• To be part of the Highway 52 Coalition, you can:
• DONATE – Give a donation, which is earmarked solely to support the 52 Coalition. For more information,
• STAY INFORMED – Attend future meetings and forums and provide comments
• JOIN – If are interested in becoming a member of the Highway 52 Coalition, please fill out and submit the
Coalition Commitment Form